Deepak Pillai currently serves as Consultant Nephrologist in Burjeel hospital, Abu Dhabi. His philosophy of medical practice is rooted in the truth that there is no higher profession than being a physician and serving the patient is akin to serving the ultimate. His goal of practice is to pursue evidence based approach in the multiple facets of renal care including kidney transplantation, renal replacement therapy, clinical nephrology and critical care nephrology. Dr. Deepak Pillai has an experience in Nephrology of over 14 years.
- Fellowship in Adult Nephrology ( FICN), University of Toronto, Canada 2011
- DM ( Nephrology), University of Calicut, Kerala, India 2005
- MD ( Internal Medicine), University of Kerala, India 2000
- MBBS , University of Kerala, India 1993
- Gold medal in Medicine 1993 MBBS
- Gold medal in Surgery 1993 MBBS
- Second best outgoing student 1993 MBBS
- Kesavan Vaidyar memorial Gold Medal First MBBS 1993
- Sabu memorial Gold Medal First MBBS 1993
- Gold Medal in Anatomy 1993 MBBS
- Best poster presentation, Annual conference of Southern Chapter of Indian society of Nephrology 2008
- Recipient of M M Niyamathullah memorial Award for the best Nephrology essay paper , Annual conference of the Southern Chapter of Indian Society of Nephrology, 2001 and 2002
- Consultant - Nephrology 2017-2020, NMC hospitals, Abu Dhabi and Khalifa city
- Specialist - Nephrology 2014-2017, NMC hospitals, Abu Dhabi and Khalifa city
- Consultant Nephrology 2013-2014, Cosmopolitan Hospital, Trivandrum, Kerala
- Clinical fellow, Nephrology and Renal transplantation, 2011-2013, University of Toronto, Canada
- Senior Registrar, Renal transplantation 2010-2011, Hamed Al Essa kidney transplant center, Kuwait .
- Consultant Nephrology and Transplant, Moulana Hospital, Perinthalmanna, India 2008-2010
Teaching position held:
- Senior Lecturer in Medicine, Medical College, Trivandrum, India 2004-2005
Scope of services:
- Management of patients with acute kidney disease - produced by toxins, drugs, infections, heart disease, contrast, liver disease and so on.
- Management of patients with chronic kidney disease- anemia management, management of abnormalities of bone metabolism, management of hypertension and planning of renal replacement therapy.
- Management of patients on hemodialysis
- Continuous renal replacement therapy for treatment of acute kidney injury in the Intensive care unit
- Management of various dialysis modalities- Intermittent hemodialysis, sustained low efficiency dialysis, short daily hemodialysis and nocturnal hemodialysis
- Management of patients with vascular access
- Management of patients on peritoneal dialysis
- Plasma exchange therapy for renal conditions - patients with pulmonary renal syndromes, vasculitis, catastrophic antiphospholipid syndromes, thrombotic microangiopathy and non renal conditions- hypertriglyceridemia induced pancreatitis, myesthenic crises and so on.
- Management of transplant patients
- Acid base, electrolytes and critical care nephrology
- Management of patients with glomerular diseases manifesting as acute kidney injury, nephrotic syndrome, nephritic syndrome, proteinuria, hematuria and so on.
- Management of manifestations of systemic diseases on the kidney - lupus, vasculitis, diabetes mellitus ,systemic hypertension, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis and others.
- Renal biopsy as a diagnostic tool in kidney diseases.
- Management of disorders of sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus metabolism.
- Medical management of patients with kidney stones.
- Management of urinary tract infections and prevention of recurrence
- Management of patients with kidney failure secondary to heart failure and liver failure
- Management of drug overdose and poison ingestion.
English, Hindi, Urdu, Malayalam
Dr. Deepak is interested in academic pursuit and keeps himself abreast of the updates in Nephrology by attending national and international conferences. He has a passion for teaching and firmly believes that knowledge gets its true value only when it is passed on.
Dr. Deepak aims to strive hard towards delivery of health care on a service-oriented mission and envisions holistic care to cater to the needs of the patients in a humane way.